Over the next month I will be putting out a series of previews for MLS (not The) this season. I know you are all wondering why should I care about MLS, however here are a couple facts to get you going.
- Since 2007 the league has gone from 13 to 24 teams (and counting)
- Last year MLS added a new team in LA owned by Will Ferrell, Magic Johnson, Nomar Garciaparra, and Mia Hamm!
- Soccer has the longest run time of the 4 major sports in 90 minutes, however because there’s no commercials the game only lasts 2 hours.
- Great players such as Josef Martinez, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Carlos Vela, and many many more come to a tv near you every week!
- ESPN+ has made it very easy to find each game every week.
Vancouver Whitecaps F.C.
Owner: Greg Kerfoot, Steve Luczo, Jeff Mallett, Steve Nash (yes the same Steve Nash)
Coach: Marc Dos Santos
Previous Season Record: 13-13-8 8th in West
Canadian Championship 2018: Runners Up
Top Scorer: Kei Kamara
Stadium: BC Place
Last year was a weird year for the Whitecaps, because they were just bleh. Not good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to stink up the league. So they kind of just felt like they were going through the season without an identity. Kei Kamara scored some goals, because that is what he does in MLS. Kendall Waston complained most of the year and finally got his wish to be transferred (enjoy that Skyline Kendall!). Other than that, there was not much going on for the Caps, So they went into the off season ready to open up the pocket books.
Off Season Transactions
*A couple things to highlight here:
- Losing your leading goal scorer in Kamara is tough.
- Top Prospect Alphonso Davies decided to head to greener pastures at Bayern Munich.
- Hwang is a low risk high reward type of signing.
- Kendall Waston GONE!
This is a fully revamped team. They got MLS hero Fredy Montero back up top, and now Hwang In-beom roaming the center of the pitch. Did they get a lot better than last year? I do not think so because they gave up just as much as they bought, so it feels like a wash. I think they need much more on defense, and have not had an answer in net since David Ousted left.
This will probably be another middle of the road season for the Whitecaps and they will find themselves on the outside looking in when the playoffs start.