Over the next month I will be putting out a series of previews for MLS (not The) this season. I know you are all wondering why should I care about MLS, however here are a couple facts to get you going.
- Since 2007 the league has gone from 13 to 24 teams (and counting)
- Last year MLS added a new team in LA owned by Will Ferrell, Magic Johnson, Nomar Garciaparra, and Mia Hamm!
- Soccer has the longest run time of the 4 major sports in 90 minutes, however because there’s no commercials the game only lasts 2 hours.
- Great players such as Josef Martinez, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Carlos Vela, and many many more come to a tv near you every week!
- ESPN+ has made it very easy to find each game every week.
Orlando City S.C.
Owner: Flávio Augusto da Silva (majority), Phil Rawlins (minority)
Coach: James O’Connor
Previous Season Record: 8-22-4 11th in East
U.S. Open Cup 2018: Quarter Final
Top Scorer: Dom Dwyer 13 Goals
Stadium: Orlando City Stadium
Live look at Orlando’s 2018
To be honest there is not much to say other than that. Orlando was terrible from start to finish and still have yet to make the playoffs since coming to MLS. And remember Lions Fans this dude aint comin back.
So they really had nothing happening and finished 2nd to last in MLS, and went into the off season with a lot of questions to answer. Mainly who will fill the massive leadership void in 2019?
Off Season Transactions
*A couple things to highlight here:
- Not pictured here is the MASSIVE potential acquisition of Nani.
- Losing Yotun is a big blow to the core of the midfield
- Joao Moutinho is a former number 1 pick in the draft, so he can be a great addition to the wing.
I do think this team got better this off season, and with one more year under coach O’Connor things could be looking up. Will Dwyer and Akindele work well up top, thats a major sticking point for the future of the team. Also, who the hell is going to be in net for this team, because none of the men on the roster can inspire hope right now.
I really think the season comes down to the forward chemistry and how well the defense can hold together after the travesty of last season. Oh and also if they sign this guy things are really looking good.
I believe they will be close to the playoffs this season, but will ultimately miss out.