I remember seeing the two original Hellboy movies and thinking to myself, I like the character more than I enjoy the movies. I rated the first Hellboy 79 and the second one a 83 so I did not hate them by any means, and I thought the direction by Guillermo Del Toro was great. So when we found out they were trying to do a new Hellboy, I was kind of excited because in this new Superhero world I thought someone might have a cool take on Hellboy.
Live look at me walking out of Hellboy in 2019
This movie was really just not good in a lot of ways.
- The script was just bad and did not have a clear direction if it wanted to be a comedy, an action movie, or a horror movie.
- The gore was extremely excessive, I do not consider myself soft, but I cringed numerous times during this.
- There is zero reason at all to connect Hellboy and King Arthur, seemed like I watching a Transformers 5 spin off.
I respect that director Neil Marshall was trying to continue his style of horror comedy here, I just do not think it worked here with this franchise.
Stock Up – David Harbour was really the only fun part of this movie. He was funny and charming, and when the action was needed he did a good job their as well. I enjoy his presence so I hope his career continues on the upward trajectory.
Stock Neutral – I mean how can you not just love Ian McShane in every single thing he is in. The guy is just the best and I love that he has this, John Wick 3 and Deadwood movie back to back to back.
Stock Down – Milla Jovavich flat out stunk as the villain in this. I disliked anytime she was on screen and do not really get what she was going for here. She played Nimue of King Arthur lore and again the King Arthur stuff had just no business here.
*A couple other tidbits
- Thomas Haden Church played a character named Lobster Johnson, LOL.
- Daniel Dae Kim and Sasha Lane were competent as Hellboy’s team members, but really did not bring a ton to the movie.
- The Baba Yaga character brought nothing to the story and really was a slog everytime she was on screen.
This was really just a bad superhero movie. There were funny moments and some decent battle sequences but other than that it was pretty Meh.
Juice Rating: 31/100
*All of my movie ratings can be found here.