Over the next month I will be putting out a series of previews for MLS (not The) this season. I know you are all wondering why should I care about MLS, however here are a couple facts to get you going.
- Since 2007 the league has gone from 13 to 24 teams (and counting)
- Last year MLS added a new team in LA owned by Will Ferrell, Magic Johnson, Nomar Garciaparra, and Mia Hamm!
- Soccer has the longest run time of the 4 major sports in 90 minutes, however because there’s no commercials the game only lasts 2 hours.
- Great players such as Josef Martinez, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Carlos Vela, and many many more come to a tv near you every week!
- ESPN+ has made it very easy to find each game every week.
Owner: Adrian Hanauer, Joe Roth, Paul Allen Estate, Drew Carey
Coach: Brian Schmetzer
Previous Season Record: 18-11-5 2nd in West (Conference Semi Finals)
U.S. Open Cup 2018: Fourth Round
Top Scorer: Raul Ruidiaz
Stadium: Century Link Field
The Seattle Sounders came into the league 10 years ago and MLS has not been the same since. They were Atlanta before Atlanta, breaking attendance records and being the envy of the entire league. Last Season however, was a weird year for the Sounders because they did very well, yet were one of the most injured teams in the league. They finished 2nd in the west playing their trademark free flowing style, and made the Conference Semi Finals. They were beaten on Aggregate by their bitter Northwest rivals the Portland Timbers and at the end of the season their hero retired.
Clint Dempsey will be sorely missed, but fans and pundits alike are very excited about this upcoming season.
Off Season Transactions
*A couple things to highlight here:
- Fully Signing Raul Ruidiaz was a great move.
- Brad Smith will be a great addition to the wings with Francis gone.
- Losing Osvaldo Alonso (their midfield rock) is tough.
- They also re signed Jordan Morris and Christian Roldan to extensions.
Whats not to like about this Seattle team? They have the best forward line in the league with Bruin, Morris, and Ruidiaz. Some of the best midfielders int he league with Lodeir, and Roldan. And with old faithfuls Chad Marshall and Stefan Frei in the back they seem like a team that will continue up top.
They are going to score a lot of goals and control a lot of games. Will the aging defense hold up throughout the season? If it does then this team can absolutely make a run to the MLS Cup final.
I think they will for sure be in the Conference final and will have as good a chance as any to bring the trophy back to the Northwest.