Over the next month I will be putting out a series of previews for MLS (not The) this season. I know you are all wondering why should I care about MLS, however here are a couple facts to get you going.
- Since 2007 the league has gone from 13 to 24 teams (and counting)
- Last year MLS added a new team in LA owned by Will Ferrell, Magic Johnson, Nomar Garciaparra, and Mia Hamm!
- Soccer has the longest run time of the 4 major sports in 90 minutes, however because there’s no commercials the game only lasts 2 hours.
- Great players such as Josef Martinez, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Carlos Vela, and many many more come to a tv near you every week!
- ESPN+ has made it very easy to find each game every week.
Owner: Stan Kroenke
Coach: Anthony Hudson
Previous Season Record: 8-19-7 11th in West
U.S. Open Cup 2018: 4th Round
Top Scorer: Dominique Badji 7 Goals
Stadium: Dick’s Sporting Goods Park
Anthony Hudson’s first season as head coach was not great. They brought him in from the New Zealand National Team hoping he could spark some life into the team. However, he was criticized most of the season for his tactics and leaving the forwards up top with no help. The team finished 11th in the West and really felt like they slept walked through most of the season. Granted the most talented player on the team last season was probably the corpse of Tim Howard.
At the end of the day this team left a lot to be desired and is a long way from the Semi Final team of 2016. There are however, many reasons for optimism heading to the 2019 season.
Off Season Transactions
*A couple things to highlight here:
- Benny Feilhaber is a guy who can immediately bring stability to the midfield.
- Bringing in Kellyn Acosta was a great piece of business if he can continue to grow into a versatile jack of all trades.
- Kei Kamara always can score goals in MLS.
- Diego Rubio should bring some much needed excitement to the team.
- Giles Barnes is another massive pick up.
- Losing Dominique Badji hurts this team up top.
This roster looks incredibly different than last season. There is so much more talent all over the pitch, and much more versatility for coach Hudson. Having Rubio, Kamara and Giles Barnes up top means Feilhaber and Acosta will have weapons to pass to from the midfield. I will say though Dominique Badji, who led the team in scoring the last two seasons, will be missed if the new signings cannot get going.
I also think if Keegan Rosenberry develops on defense this team can get back to their Semi Final form from 2016. It might take a few years though, so I do think even though it is Tim Howard’s last year, this team will miss the playoffs because the West is just too talented.